Cadaver: [kuh-dav-ver]- noun. A dead body, esp. a human body to be dissected; corpse.
That's right, I saw a cadaver. In fact, I saw six. A week ago today, the Medical Anatomy & Physiology classes from school traveled to Utah State University to visit the cadaver lab. Before entering the lab, we were guided around campus to learn more about the school and the programs offered there. They have excellent education and engineering programs, which explains why my Mom and Dad went there. :) The tour ended at the Biology building, where the cadaver lab was. When we first entered the lab, the first thing I saw were six tables with covered bodies on them. Once all the students were filed in, the Professor showed us artificial body parts found in bodies, such as knee/hip replacements, pace makers, breast implants, and various other things found in cadavers. The professor also told us the room itself cost about $35,000 (I think) because of the ventilation system. There's a ventilator on the roof of the building about the size of a bus in order to let in fresh air. Then the tables have their own ventilation system to let out the air from the bodies. After discussing some rules, we put on our gloves and aprons and things started to get interesting. The professor took out a brain, with the eyeballs and spinal cord still connected to it (apparently that is extremely hard to do). We were able to pass it around and touch it. Then we got to hold the sagittal half of a human head. We were able to see and touch the brain, sinus, tongue, glands, etc. It was a little strange seeing the outside part of the head (hair, ear, wrinkles, eyelid) as well as the inside. Then the class spread out and we held the GI (gastrointestinal) tract. It started at the tongue, went down through the stomach, to the cecum and appendix, and to the anus. I couldn't believe something so long could fit in my body! Afterwards, we got to see the actual cadavers. Above each table were the person's name, age, occupation, and cause of death. It was nice to have the information there because it helped us respect these people for their generosity to donate their bodies to science. Some were skinned, so the muscles could be seen, and others still had skin on them. We were able to lift the skin like a door and see all the organs inside. It was really interesting. Luckily no one passed out, which is the first time ever for our teacher. :) Seeing these bodies made me extremely grateful for my own body. The way our bodies work and function is so amazing. I love learning about it. It's just another proof to me that there's a God who has created us into beautiful human beings. I'm so grateful for the body He has given me.

1 comment:
Jess--I'm so impressed with your perspective. Most people would be grossed out, but you have shed a new light on the human body. Love ya, chicky babe!! Mom
Post a Comment